National Fire Authority attended to a fire emergency call at the Oriental Wine & Dine Restaurant located above No. 1 Supermarket along Jaduram Street in Labasa Town earlier this afternoon.

At 2.07pm, the Labasa Fire Station was alerted when one of the fire officers called for the brigade as he spotted heavy smoke coming out from the Restaurant.

The Fire team immediately responded with two fire trucks and upon arrival at 2.09pm the Fire team saw heavy smoke emitting from the building’s roof chimney.

The Fire team traced the fire to the restaurant’s kitchen where one of the frying pans had caught fire whilst cooking and the fire had spread through the chimney to the roof.

The Fire team used two deliveries of water from tank supply and the nearby fire hydrant supply and quickly got to work to extinguish the fire in the kitchen as well as in the roof.  Quick action from the Fire team stopped the fire from spreading to other parts of the building and to the adjoining building and Supermarket on the ground floor.

NFA CEO Manasa Lesuma sends a reminder to the public to stay vigilant in the kitchen when cooking especially during this festive season.  Everyone in the kitchen are requested not to leave the kitchen whilst cooking and to also be mindful of flammable materials.  NFA encourages all the members of the public to stay fire safe during these festivities and prevent the unnecessary occurrence of fire damage to your property.

NFA will be conducting its fire investigations into this incident.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt
Fiji TV Subscribe

Don't miss the HSBC Sevens Series LIVE on Fiji One.