The National Fire Authority Chief Executive Officer Manasa Lesuma has sent a reminder to the public to stay vigilant in the kitchen when cooking especially during this festive season.
He says everyone in the kitchen is requested not to leave the kitchen unattended whilst cooking and to also be mindful of flammable materials.
The advise was given after the NFA attended to a fire emergency call at the Oriental Wine & Dine Restaurant located above the No. 1 Supermarket along Jaduram Street in Labasa Town on Friday afternoon.
NFA received a call by a fire officer who spotted heavy smoke coming out from the Restaurant.
The fire team traced the fire to the restaurant’s kitchen where one of the frying pans had caught fire whilst cooking and the fire had spread through the chimney to the roof.
Quick action from the fire team stopped the fire from spreading to other parts of the building and to the adjoining building and Supermarket on the ground floor.