The National Disaster Management Office in collaboration with the Seismology Unit of the Department of Mineral Resources will be conducting LIVE TESTS on the Tsunami Sirens at 10am tommorow. This is Governments commitment in ensuring its state of readiness should any tsunami event occurs.
The Tsunami Sirens are installed in the following areas:
1. Water Authority of Fiji – Kinoya Sewerage Plant
2. FINTEL – Vatuwaqa
3. RFMF Officers Training School – Vatuwaqa
4. My Suva Park
5. Government Training Centre – Nasese
6. USP Main campus
7. USP Statham
8. I Taukei Trust Fund Board
9. SCC Civic Car park Rooftop
10. Biosecurity, Renown Street – Suva Central
11. Government Shipping Services – Walu Bay
12. Lami town
The NDMO wishes to advice the general public that evacuation will NOT be required. However, communities and businesses along the Suva peninsula and foreshore can use this tsunami siren test to identify and test their evacuation procedures in terms of their designated safe route and safe assembly areas/zones.
In addition to this, it is equally important for the public to get acquainted with the sound of the tsunami early warning sirens.