Chelsea and Watford have joined Liverpool with perfect records after 3 games of the new English Premier League football season.

Chelsea made it three form three as DeAndre Yedlin’s late own goal gave them a 2-1 win at Newcastle.

The Magpies thought they had banked a point when substitute Joselu headed home an 83rd-minute equaliser to cancel out Eden Hazard’s penalty seven minutes earlier.

But their joy was short-lived when Yedlin could only help Marcos Alonso’s drive into his own net with three minutes remaining.

Rafael Benitez adopted cautious tactics in a bid to stifle Chelsea opponents who had scored six goals in their opening two league games under Maurizio Sarri.

Hazard ran off early knocks to go close before skipper Cesar Azpilicueta was denied on the stroke of half-time when his goalbound shot was inadvertently blocked by team-mate Alvaro Morata.

Antonio Rudiger rattled the bar with a 30-yard thunderbolt, but Newcastle were holding firm until Alonso went to ground under debutant Fabian Schar’s challenge 14 minutes from time.

Hazard converted and Chelsea were eventually indebted to Alonso’s deflected shot after Joselu struck his second of the season with a bullet header.

Watford also maintained their 100 per cent record with a 2-1 home victory over Crystal Palace.

Roberto Pereyra and Jose Holebas were on target for the Hornets, with Wilfried Zaha managing a late consolation for the Eagles.

Palace were furious that Watford midfielder Etienne Capoue avoided an early red card after appearing to rake his studs down the back of Zaha’s Achilles.

Roy Hodgson’s side had the better of the early stages, but Watford gradually grew into the game and Pereyra’s third goal of the season put them ahead after 53 minutes.

A fortunate second from Jose Holebas, which appeared to be an overhit cross, doubled Watford’s lead after 71 minutes.

Zaha fired home from a tight angle seven minutes later but Watford held on to make it three wins from as many games.

Fulham claimed their first points of the season by beating Burnley 4-2 at Craven Cottage.

Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, whose 12 goals on loan last term helped Fulham to promotion back to the Premier League, set about the task of keeping them there with two headers in two minutes.

Jeff Hendrick had cancelled out a stunning goal from Ivory Coast midfielder Jean Michael Seri when Mitrovic, now a permanent fixture at Craven Cottage following his STG22million ($A39 million) switch from Newcastle, struck his double.

James Tarkowski pulled one back for Burnley before half-time but Andre Schurrle’s late strike ensured Sean Dyche’s side, beaten in Europa League qualifying by Olympiakos on Thursday, were left empty-handed.

The Clarets are now in the relegation zone with only one point from three games.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt
Fiji TV Subscribe

Don't miss the HSBC Sevens Series LIVE on Fiji One.