Minister for Local Government, Parveen Kumar Bala today officiated at a special ceremony awarding recognition certificates for acts of bravery and responding beyond the call of duty, by the National Fire Authority Rescue team from Ba Fire Station.
The certificates of bravery were awarded to seven officers from the Ba Station were;
1. Sub Officer Simione Qiolevu
2. Leading Firefighter Kinijoji Cakobau
3. Leading Firefighter Rashid Ali
4. Qualified Firefighter Inoke Raleba
5. Firefighter Kalaveti Vatuinaruku
6. Firefighter Josaia Vakalala
7. Firefighter Josefa Waqabaca
Speaking at the event in Ba which was witnessed by family members and one of the mothers rescued, Minister Bala said these acts of bravery were a display of their training and initiative came to the fore due to the recent floods caused by TC Josie on 1st April, 2018.
During the height of the devastating floods caused by Tropical Cyclone Josie on 1st April 2018 in the Western Division, National Fire Authority’s team of firefighters based at the Ba Fire Station risked their lives when they bravely waded across neck-deep flooded waters to save two pregnant young women.