One more person has died from Covid-19 in Papua New Guinea, bringing the total to three.
Authorities said the latest victim is a 62-year-old man who went to Port Moresby General Hospital with symptoms on Wednesday.
Ten more cases of coronavirus were confirmed in Papua New Guinea yesterday, bringing the national total to 163.
Most of the cases relate to a cluster at Port Moresby’s main hospital, but the virus has now been confirmed in seven of the country’s 22 provinces.
The Covid-19 Response Controller, David Manning, said nearly 11,000 people have been tested for Covid-19 but the process would be ramped up in the coming days.
He reiterated the need for people to take heed of our health messages.
“Covid-19 is here. It is real. It has so far infected close to 17 million people in more than 215 countries and claimed the lives of more than 600,000 people world-wide.
“So please cover your face with a face mask. Wash your hands regularly. Practise safe distancing of 1.5 metres. Cough into your elbow and please stay home if you can. The virus is spread from people to people so take heed of our messages and stop the spread.”
SOURCE – RADIO NZ