The Fiji Football Association Council Meeting was held at the Tanoa International Hotel in Nadi today, December 21.
Plans for season 2020, Men’s and Women’s National teams, Fiji FA annual tournaments, budgets and other compliance issues were some of the major agenda of the meeting.
Some of the major announcements by the president Rajesh Patel were:
• Tournament Venues for 2020 – Vodafone Fiji FACT (Group stages) to be played at the ANZ Stadium in Suva, Inkk Mobile Battle of Giants (Group Stages) at Churchill Park in Lautoka while Courts Inter District Championship (Oct 28th to Nov 2nd) will be hosted at Govind Park in Ba.
• IDC will not be in the traditional October 10th weekend because of FIFA World Cup Qatar Qualifiers and at the same time we also want to celebrate Fiji’s 50th anniversary of independence with the Government. We will be working with the Government and Ministry of Youth and Sports so that we can see where the events are for us to be part of.
• For the national coach, we have shortlisted 8 applicants and after this press conference I will be having a meeting with the technical director and the acting national team director to finialise who will we shortlist and progress further for the interview process.
• The National Sports Commission usually pays for the national coach and we are now asking the commission to get a full time national futsal coach which is a different code as it happens in rugby with 7s and 15s.
• Women’s Football – We are looking to fully develop as you can see the U16 and U19 played this year and the women’s IDC will be played next year. It’s also our priority. We just want to make sure that there is no differences from the men’s football.
• National Men’s Team: The first assignment for next year will be the Tri-Nations Series between Fiji, Tahiti and Solomon Islands hosted in Fiji during the FIFA International Window in March, 2020.
• Aiyaz Musa has been appointed the new Vice President (west) who replaces Adbul Kadar. He will also be the national team director.