The 2021 Fiji football season will see all the Premier districts licensed as per OFC/FIFA Club License requirements in order to participate in the Vodafone Premier League.
Fiji FA Club Licensing and Competitions manager Amitesh Pal says it has become mandatory for all Premier Divisions Clubs/Districts to be licensed as per OFC/FIFA Club License requirements in order to participate in the OFC Champions League 2021.
“The FIFA Club Licensing system will raise the level both on and off the field and represents long term development tool for FIFA member association, “Pal said.
Pal said FIFA Club Licensing system is a necessary tool for developing club football because club football is the centre of development at National Level
“It will be compulsory for 2 clubs representing Fiji FA in the next Oceania Champions League to be fully licensed under the Fiji FA Club Licensing regulations.”
“FIFA Club Licensing represents a major pillar of football development,”
He said the objectives of the Club Licensing was to
• Safeguarding the credibility and integrity of club competitions;
• Improving the level of professionalism within the football family;
• Promoting sporting values in accordance with the principals of fair play, as well as safe and secure the match environments;
• Promoting transparency in the finances of the clubs;
• Promoting transparency in the ownership of the clubs;
• Promoting transparency in the control of the club;
Fiji Club Licensing system sets criteria that the clubs must meet to ensure participation
• example of Sporting Criteria is that the clubs must field youth teams to develop the next generation of players for that club and qualified coaches
• example of Administrative Criteria is the club must have a General Manger to ensure professional administration
• example of Infrastructure Criteria is the club must have a home training field and home field to play matches (some flexibility in terms of infrastructure criteria in OFC region)
He said it would be compulsory for all districts to adopt the new system by 2021.
FIFA’s Club Licensing Handbook is a key tool for professionalising clubs and leagues. It uses principle-based criteria and sets minimum standards that clubs must satisfy in order to be licensed and, consequently, be able to participate in a given competition.
The club licensing workshop was scheduled this weekend in Nadi but due to Cyclone warning it has been postponed to January.