A family in Tuvu Feeder Road Lautoka is homeless after they lost everything in a fire yesterday morning.
The Lautoka Fire Station was alerted of the house fire at 08.06 am and the fire team responded immediately. Upon arrival at the scene, the fire team found a 4 bedroom-house fully engulfed in flames.
The fire team quickly used one delivery of water from the fire truck to extinguish the fire.
NFA’s investigations show that the owner and other members were outside of the house attending to chores and only a four-year-old boy was inside the house when the fire started.
Investigations suggest that the unsupervised child was playing with matches and had lit it while playing on a mattress.
The 4-year-old boy was out of the house uninjured before the fire spread and destroyed the house.
Chief Executive Officer Mr. Puamau Sowane says it is sad to see that such carelessness has caused a great loss to the family.
“We have been reminding the public on fire safety and not leaving matches carelessly where children can reach”.
“Please do not leave your children unsupervised, it is very dangerous and irresponsible. If you love your family, look after them by being fire safety compliance because the impact of fire can be so devastating and destructive to people’s lives. It was very fortunate that the young boy managed to escape unhurt which would have been the other way round”.
“It is very important that parents take the necessary steps to teach their children fire safety”.
CEO Sowane says parents should keep matches and lighters away from the reach of children. Children are vulnerable and curios about fire, it is our responsibility as parents to keep all fire ignition sources well away from our children.
“It is our humble plea to all parents and guardians to be mindful of fire safety and never to leave children unsupervised”.
Fire Safety is everyone’s responsibility and NFA reminds the public to take every precaution in and around their homes to prevent fires.